HOW TO ENTER (READ CAREFULLY!!!!)
1. Record a ONE MINUTE monologue
2. Upload a YOUTUBE or VIMEO link ONLY. Please make sure the video is public, with no passwords.
3. Follow us on Instagram (@monologueslam) and Facebook (@MonologueSlamCanada) – If you’re not on social media that’s cool too…weird…but cool. It may take over 48 hours and not all videos will be reposted.
4. Fill out the application using the form below
MONOLOGUE CATEGORIES (NEW)
1. Comedic Monologue
2. Dramatic Monologue
3. Youth Monologue (12 to 17 years old)
4. Kids (11 years and under)
1. Self tape-style (medium close up, no cuts or editing)
2. Please have clear audio and lighting (turn off any buzzing appliances)
3. Please shoot LANDSCAPE (horizontally)
4. Please label your video as follows: YOUR NAME – MONOLOGUE TITLE, AUTHOR – ‘MONOLOGUE SLAM ONLINE’- DATE. For example, Jane Smith – Whiplash by Damien Chazelle – MONOLOGUE SLAM ONLINE – April 27, 2020
5. No file transfers or downloads. Videos must be made PUBLIC. NO PASSWORDS!
NOTES FROM THE JUDGES
1. Have way more FUN
2. More vocal range/energy/to have things ‘pop’ and then come back down
3. More active physically and vocally. Pace could all be changed up to make it more active
4. A lot of them felt MONOTONE all the way through. Others were projecting all the way through
5. This is your chance to TAKE RISKS and push the envelope (while keeping it real and grounded)
6. The text can be explored further so that the work feels less ‘memorized’ and fresher
7. Read 9 Elements of a Great Monologue
RULES & REGULATIONS
Our mission is to provide a space for artists to develop and showcase their craft. We encourage artists to explore storytelling that engages different perspectives, pushes boundaries, challenges our world views, and speaks to our deepest and most compelling truths – this is what art is about. If you are unclear about any of the rules or have questions concerning the content of your performance please contact us for clarification.
NO edited videos. This includes added sound effects, music, cuts, transitions, etc
NO hateful or discriminatory speech
NO nudity or explicit sexuality
Please include a content warning for potentially sensitive content (see below)
The decisions made by judges are final and not subject to complaint or alteration.
Rules are subject to change at the sole discretion of the Monologue Slam Canada organizers.
We understand that sometimes themes explored in work can be mature, emotionally challenging, or difficult in nature. Therefore, we ask that artists include a content warning (‘cw’ or ‘content warning’) to identify any potentially sensitive subject matter. For example [CW: violence, domestic abuse]. While it is impossible to know every subject that could be considered sensitive, a list of common ones is listed here.
Deadline for Submission is Sunday, August 23rd @ 3pm EST (12pm PST)
SUBMIT VIDEO USING SUBMIT BUTTON